Xiaomi launched its first Redmi S-series smartphone, the Redmi S2 on 10th May at an event in China. The most talked feature of the smartphone its 16MP front-facing camera with AI capabilities and Xiaomi says that its the ‘Best Redmi Selfie Phone’. Apart from the unique camera hardware, the device has plenty to offer, and in this post, we will be discussing its top 5 features.
Xiaomi Redmi S2: Top 5 features
- The first and the most impressive feature of the device is its front-facing camera. The 16MP front-facing camera that the device comes with has a 2-micron pixel size, which is larger than the pixel size usually found in the front-facing cameras of the other smartphones. So how does the larger pixel size benefits? It helps the camera to capture more light resulting in better details, and therefore a better overall image. Hopefully, the Redmi S2 will have a better lowlight image quality compared to other smartphones.
- The second most impressive feature of the Redmi S2 is the dual-camera setup at the back. The dual-camera setup has one 16MP sensor and one 5MP sensor. The 5MP sensor helps the camera capture images with bokeh effect. We’ve already seen the bokeh effect images from the Mi A1, and the Redmi S2 is expected to perform the same, if not better. The camera also has phase-detection autofocus and a dual-tone dual-LED flash.
- The third most impressive feature of the device is its display. Th Redmi S2 comes with a 5.99-inch IPS LCD display featuring bezel-less design. The bezel-less design makes the device compact and also gives it a modern and premium look.
- The fourth most impressive feature is that the device comes with dedicated slots for two SIM cards and a microSD card. It is not a big feature, but definitely a much-needed one. People in India tend to buy a lower storage version of a smartphone for lower initial investment. They later expand the storage with microSD cards, but at the same time they also need two working networks on the phone, and this is where smartphones with hybrid SIM card slot fail. The Redmi S2 fulfils the essential needs of the people.
- The fifth most impressive feature of the device is its software. The Redmi S2 has Android 8.1 Oreo OS with MIUI 9.5 customisation. The MIUI 9.5 packs plenty of features such as dual-apps, apps locker, calendar with Indian holidays, messages app with the capability to filter out spam and highlight OTPs, remote app with support for Indian appliances, custom themes, second space, Wi-Fi password sharing, and many others. For the price, very few smartphones have additional features over the stock Android UI.
Xiaomi Redmi S2: Other features and hardware specifications
Apart from the above discussed features, the Redmi S2 comes with Qualcomm Snapdragon 625 SoC paired with 4GB of RAM and choices of 32GB and 64GB of storage. The device is backed by a 3080mAh battery, which should be capable of providing a days worth battery backup. The device also has a rear-mounted fingerprint scanner.
Xiaomi Redmi S2: Price in India and expected launch date
There is a very less possibility of the Redmi S2 launching in India, as Xiaomi already has many devices in the low-mid-range price category. In China, the device costs CNY 999 (approximately Rs. 10,575) for the base variant, and CNY 1,299 (approximately Rs. 13,750) for the high-end variant. Although, if the device launches in India, it will come with a price tag of Rs. 11,999 for the base variant, and Rs. 14,999 for the top-end variant.
So far there hasn’t been any news on the launch date of the device. Stay tuned on MySmartPrice for the latest developments on the India launch of the Xiaomi Redmi S2.