1. Amitabh Bachchan shot ‘Khaike Paan Banaras Wala’ with a fractured leg: For all those who felt that it was choreography, sorry to burst the bubble. While shooting for Lawaaris, Bachchan had fractured his leg and was actually limping while shooting the song. Having said that, Pran’s character ‘Jasjit’ had to walk straight according to the script. A stick was added because he actually had an accident just before the shooting began.
2. Amitabh Bachchan was made to eat 30-40 paans a day to get a red layer on his lips. It was not possible to create the look with makeup so Amitabh was made to chew the paans till they got the look right. However, Amitabh could not speak the next day because of the chuna.
3. All the actors let go of their remuneration before the release. Pran, who was the highest paid actor, let go of half his remuneration. Amitabh Bachchan let go of 1.5 lakh and so did Zeenat Aman to help the cinematographer Nariman Irani come out of debt.
A still from DON
4. A journalist had actually written the director, Chandra Barot’s obituary before the release of the film as Yash Chopra’s ‘Trishul’ had released a week ago and was a big success.
5. Actress Farida Jalal had shot a 5 minute scene at the Bombay airport which was removed later because the makers felt that her character wasn’t adding anything to the film but only increasing the duration.
6. The song ‘Khaike Paan Banaras wala’ was not even made for DON. It was made for Dev Anand’s ‘Banarasi Babu.’ Later, it was added on the recommendation of actor Manoj Kumar as he believed that the second half of the film was too tight and didn’t even have a toilet break.
Amitabh Bachchan opts out of Sairat director Nagraj Manjule’s Hindi debut Jhund
This took you on a nostalgic ride, right? And if it did not, I’m sure this dialogue is definitely going to. ‘Don se bachna mushkil hi nahi, namumkin hai’
(with inputs from PTI)